Saturday, September 25, 2010

Settling in nicely :)

If you're viewing my blog for the first time, please see what I'm doing this year!

Word comparison:
English: quid. American: Great Britain Pound (GBP), currency equivalent to $1.58 USD today.
English: poorly. American: sick, ill, not well.

Highlights of the week:

I met with Tim Abbott, who is the director of Christian Youth Outreach (CYO) of Colchester. He drove me into Colchester to their main office, and I got to meet the rest of the CYO staff- Amy, Rachel, and Josh. Amy works full time for CYO and goes into a secondary school in Colchester and does mentoring, programs, and works with the kids. Rachel and Josh are part time and work in a secondary school in Braintree, talking with the kids during lunch and break and running programs with them. I would absolutely love to work with them :)

I had dinner at the Budenberg's house Tuesday evening, which was very nice! I got to know a little more about Jackie, and her daughter Minnie. They have stables on their property and love horses, and have two very sweet dogs, a dachshund called Snuggles and a black lab called Olive. Also, Minnie is extraordinarily talented at table tennis! She totally kicked my butt in that lol.

Cell group on Wednesday evening was great, got to meet with people my age again!!! Very welcome, indeed :) St John's, the church that hosts these cell groups (Bible study groups), is doing a series on the 10 commandments, going from 10 to 1. We talked about the ninth commandment, do not bear false testimony against your neighbor. It was fruitful conversation, and great to discuss. The cell group is run by Celia and David Simcox, and I have to say, I really enjoy seeing a couple strengthened by God, through each other. You can see not only how faithful they are by their actions and words, but how much they love and admire each other as well. They are a great example of healthy marriage, which I long to have one day.

Thursday was the first the Point youth club of the new school year! It was really fun and I got to meet a bunch more kids from Langham primary. We're adding something different this year; we decided to add a 10 minute discussion at the end of each meeting of the Point, to talk about different topics in Christianity. The kids didn't seem too keen on it, but hopefully they'll warm up to it! Afterwards, I had supper with the Sheils, which consisted of yummy Indian food :D Btw, have I told you how much I love the Sheil family? They are the best. Sooo happy they're my buddy family!

Friday, I met with my supervisor, Denise Hobday. We filled out my On-Arrival Checklist for Time For God. Also, Denise has *the* most adorable dog ever, Jack the border collie. He's my new best friend. I seriously love this dog and want to keep him forever. He's so friendly and loving and adores playing with his pheasant stuffed animal... Ah! I am a happy camper :) Denise is a great supervisor, organized and thorough. My sort of person!

The Edge youth group was Friday evening. We discussed the things they learned in confirmation last year, and talked and shared some Christian testimony. Then we played some games! Super fun :)

All right, that's all for now! Jazz Concert at church tonight which should be lovely, and the Harvest Service tomorrow morning! The whole village smells like onions from harvest :)

Here's a comment question for my readers: do I post blogs too often, not enough, or the right amount of blogs? :)

7 comments:

  1. So I'm reading your blog post this morning, specifically on the 9th Commandment, while watching the Sunday morning political shows. So my thought for the morning is that politics (in America, won't speak for other countries) is the organized, willful, and deliberate violation of the 9th Commandment.

    So anyway, good post, keep working hard, and enjoy what the assignment gives you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! never thought of politics like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like reading about all of your new and exciting experiences living in the UK. And the pictures are great, too! My favorite is between the London skyline at dusk and you with your luggage cart at platform 9 3/4! And the language differences! And just hearing how you are growing in faith and community. Keep those posts coming as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying reading your adventures. They are wonderful and are making me want to visit England again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! I love writing about my experiences, so I'm glad you like my blog and pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricia: I'm trying to send you email about the
    E flat Tuba; and I'm told by aol that the address you listed as your contact --- well is states you are not an aol menber.... So I need an e-mail address. I am enjoying your commentary and love the English lessons !..... now do you need my e-mail address to respond?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can email me at coastergal87@yahoo.com.
    Thanks for the help with E flat tuba! :D

    ReplyDelete