Friday, October 1, 2010

Harvest Time

If you're visiting my blog for the first time, please read about what I'm doing this year!

Word comparison:
English: diary. American: planner/agenda.
example: "Let me check my diary to see if I'm busy that day or not."
English: prawns. American: shrimp.
example: "My favourite flavour of crisps used to be Prawn Cocktail, but now it's Salt & Vinegar crisps."

Yup, the most popular flavour of chips among the kids is Prawn Cocktail. Weird, huh?

Highlights of the week:
Saturday was the Boxted Primary School Fair, which was tons of fun! I didn't win anything, but I got 3 books for 30p each (about 50 cents) and got to hang out with some of the kids. Saturday evening I went to a Jazz Concert at St Peters, which was fantastic! A local Jazz band called Phoenix from Ipswich performed, and there was an intermission with a complimentary drink and little nibbles. Very lovely evening!

Sunday was the Harvest Service, and I saw a Christening at the church for the first time! I cannot believe how packed the church got, with all the family members of the baby being baptized that came to watch. Apparently, most families in England bring their children to church to get them Christened, but only attend for that service, and usually don't come back.
If only church attendance were always that high :-P Afterwards, I went over to the Butlers for Sunday dinner (yuuuuuuuum) and then went to St Johns Colchester for contemporary worship with Ben, Pippa, Rebecca, and Alice. A young adult called Ollie preached about the eighth commandment- do not steal. He made good points about stealing time, effort, things we believe we're entitled to, etc. Here's a picture from last contemporary service of my kids going up to the front to pray together :)

On Monday was the Boxted Primary Harvest Festival at St Peters, which was a great service! All the kids from Boxted, from Reception to Year 6, packed into the church for a service of thanksgiving for a successful harvest and many skits, songs, and prayers. They did such a wonderful job! Monday evening, I met with Patsy-Ann and Julie for a prayer session, where we talked about our lives and the problems we face, and pray for each other. Never before in my life have I seen the power of prayer so in action, and the peace of the people who partake in it, more than here. I wish I could show everyone this precious jewel I have found!



On Tuesday I met with Rev Tim for PPB (prayer, planning, and Bible study) and we had a great discussion again. I'm really starting to enjoy looking up passages in Greek to see the different meanings in the words, and what the exact translation from Greek is! Good tiding for seminary? Possibly :) After that, I met Rachel Brett, who is the Area Youth Advisor for the Church of England, which means she supports and looks after the Youth Workers in all the Anglican churches around the Colchester area. She's pretty great :) She took me for tea and then we went shopping at Tesco! I went to the Bulls for dinner that evening and had more yummy Thai food (^_^) and learned how to play Pinochle! Pinochle is basically like Uno, and it's quite a fun game!

Wednesday was my day off, so I did laundry, read books, and watched TV :) That evening, cell group was cancelled so I went to Boxted Methodist Silver Band practice to listen to them... AND THEY GAVE ME A FREAKIN TUBA!!!!!!!!! Am I the luckiest girl in the world? Yes. Most definitely. I came to listen to them, and they asked a bunch of questions about me and if I played an instrument, and whether I wanted to play with them! :-D I told them I didn't have a tuba to use, and they said they'd try to sort it out. At the end of practice, the conductor Victoria and one of the leaders opened up the back room and unearthed an old E flat tuba and told me to take it home and see what I thought. Gah!!!! I've never played an E flat tuba, and the fingerings and aperture for all the notes and the music clef are all completely new to me. Basically, it'll be like learning a new instrument for me. But, gonna try to make it work! I'm so excited!!

Yesterday, Thursday, I went with Tim to both the Boxted and Langham school assemblies. We did a quiz game with them showing that God's grace isn't just for those who deserve it, but for everyone. I hope to start working in the Primary schools within the next 2 weeks, but that all depends upon when the paperwork for my CRB clearance comes in. Please pray for me that those come soon and that the process is smooth! That afternoon was the Point youth club, and it was held at the Boxted community centre. It was a very fun afternoon, though when I talked to the kids about the different characteristics of God, I found out many kids believe He is not real. So, guess what we're talking about next youth club? Whether God is real or not! Afterward, I went to supper at the Sheils. Love hanging out with them. They've proposed a trip into Dedham for Sunday dinner this weekend to get Cream Tea! YUM!!!

Something that's been weighing on my heart heavily this past couple of weeks is my relationship with Jesse. Before I left for England, we decided to see where things go, because it's such a time of change for the both of us. We left our options open to see if this relationship is what we truly want, and this week, we've decided that we want different things for our lives. This change has been very hard on me ( the wind outside is starting to pick up and rain is starting to fall as I'm typing this; this is exactly how I'm feeling inside right now, turmoil brewing). Jesse and I have left the relationship mutually (how often does that happen!?) and are going to stay friends, which I am so grateful for. If anything, I've gained a lifetime friendship. However, I hate this feeling of loneliness; I thrive on companionship. I know the Lord is always there for me, and I take comfort in His compassion and nearness in my life, but I am having a hard time laying this all on Him. If you could pray for healing and peace within me, I would really appreciate it.

Tonight is another meeting of the Edge youth group, and we're discussing what is Christianity, or maybe more aptly, what isn't Christianity. I'm going to go finish planning the session now. Hopefully, the kids will get something good out of this!

Ta ta for now, folks!

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing Tricia, I can't wait to see you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Tricia. I'm praying your heart heals soon and you find peace as you walk the path of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both :) Your support means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete