Friday, September 3, 2010

First day in England!

English/American phrase difference of the day:
English- jug; American- pitcher
American- dinner; English- supper
I'm extremely tired, but I knew I had to write this post before I go to bed, so here goes:
Arrived in Essex today! Flew out of London last night, got 2-3 hours of sleep on the flight, arrived at Heathrow, took an hour and a quarter bus trip to Stansted airport which I got 30 minutes sleep on! The plane and bus were both on time, and I didn't have any problem with my bags or going through customs. I had truly blessed travel!
My host dad Roger picked me up at the train station and drove me back to their house, which I will be living at for the next year! I unpacked my things and got settled into my room, Roger made a nice lunch of bread, cheese, and fruit, and then I went for a walk through the forest behind the house. It is quite beautiful!
Tim, who is the reverend of the Langham Boxted parish and my supervisor, along with his daughters Alice and Pippa collected me for dinner at their house. Tim's wife Julie made Shepherd's Pie and raspberry apple crumble, which were both really tasty! We had great conversation and watched the Simpsons and Doctor Who. Apparently I need to get well acquainted with Doctor Who!
When I got home, I met Patsy-Ann, my host mom, who had been at the school she teaches at in Ipswitch, preparing for the start of the school year next week. We prayed together and then here I am now, getting ready for bed. It's been a long day, and I can't wait for tomorrow!
As I'm starting to get to know this community, I'm getting excited about how much growth this service will create for me; being held accountable by a whole community of people, making a positive impact on a community, stepping up my prayer life and reading the Bible more, and just putting all my effort towards the Lord. It's gonna be a pretty amazing year, I can feel it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia. I'm glad you arrived safely. May God continue to bless you along this journey.

    Pastor Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the english/american phrase comparison, some others

    Salad Dressing - NOTHING
    Exit - Way Out

    Enjoy you time there and best wishes for success and fun.

    Art from Bethel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good trip! Must be exciting! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Jeff- Thanks! I need all the blessings I can get :)
    Art- I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison, because there are so many differences in the language! You were spot on when you said "two countries separated by a common language" :)
    Joe- Me too! It's been very exciting, a bit overwhelming, but all good!

    ReplyDelete