Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What I'm Doing This Year!

If you want to send me mail (cough please do cough) my address in England is:
Tricia Ernst
Sky Hall Cottage
Sky Hall Hill, Boxted
Colchester, Essex
CO4 5TF
United Kingdom


What: I'm volunteering in a program called Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM), doing a year of volunteer service in England.

Where: Langham and Boxted, Colchester, Essex, England. It's an hour northeast of London, in a region called East Anglia. It has the best weather in the whole country!

Who: Me! By myself! Doing a year of volunteer service, helping to develop the youth ministry in the congregation of the villages.

When: Starting at the beginning of September 2010, and ending at the beginning of August, 2011; about 11 months all together.

How: Through the ELCA, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. I applied for the program, interviewed, and was accepted into the program along with 43 other young adults around the US. I raised $4,000 through my church, friends, family, and the synod to be a part of YAGM.

Why: This one is a bit tough to answer. I felt a strong calling from God to do some kind of mission work, and I have always enjoyed learning about other cultures, so when I came across YAGM, I knew it was perfect for me. I especially like that the mission work through the ELCA is run under the accompaniment model.

Accompaniment: a response to the changing context of global mission; walking together in solidarity that practices interdependence and mutuality. So, when I say I'm doing a year of Christian mission work, it doesn't mean I'm trying to convert people! Rather, I am sharing the love of God through my actions, creating community between various Christian denominations and across culture lines, and sharing my story and my understanding of God with those that want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment